How do you use heterozygous in a sentence?
Heterozygous in a Sentence
- Heterozygous eye color alleles led the boy to look like his brown-eyed mother but not his blue-eyed father.
- If both gene alleles are different, the organism is heterozygous for that particular trait.
What is heterozygous with examples?
If the two versions are different, you have a heterozygous genotype for that gene. For example, being heterozygous for hair color could mean you have one allele for red hair and one allele for brown hair. The relationship between the two alleles affects which traits are expressed.
How do you use homozygous in a sentence?
Homozygous in a Sentence
- Because Will carries two matching alleles for blue eyes, he is homozygous for that physical characteristic.
- Tina is homozygous for sickle cell anemia because her parents gave her identical alleles for the condition.
What is the term heterozygous mean?
(HEH-teh-roh-ZY-gus JEE-noh-tipe) The presence of two different alleles at a particular gene locus. A heterozygous genotype may include one normal allele and one mutated allele or two different mutated alleles (compound heterozygote).
What is a synonym for heterozygous?
Find another word for heterozygous. In this page you can discover 11 synonyms, antonyms, idiomatic expressions, and related words for heterozygous, like: homozygous, genotype, allele, recessive, MTHFR, C282Y, rb1, heterozygote, premutation, wild-type and homozygote.
What is heterozygous and homozygous examples?
Homozygous means that the organism has two copies of the same allele for a gene. … Heterozygous means that an organism has two different alleles of a gene. For example, pea plants can have red flowers and either be homozygous dominant (red-red), or heterozygous (red-white).
What is meant by homozygous and heterozygous?
Heterozygous is when different forms of a specific gene are inherited from each parent. Homozygous is when a gene inherited from each parent is identical. Basically, heterozygous means different while homozygous means the same. 4.
What is a synonym for homozygous?
Find another word for homozygous. In this page you can discover 11 synonyms, antonyms, idiomatic expressions, and related words for homozygous, like: homozygote, heterozygous, heterozygote, C282Y, homozygosity, wild-type, genotype, recessive, diploid, allele and MC1R.
How do you use genotype in a sentence?
Genotype in a Sentence
- If both of your parents have dark hair, you likely won’t have the genotype to be a blonde.
- The genetic makeup, or genotype, of an organism can determine many physical traits.
- Every physical trait from eye color to skin color is the result of that person’s genotype.
How do you use phenotype in a sentence?
Phenotype in a Sentence
- In the lab, we studied the effect of the weather on an albino mouse’s phenotype to see if the creature’s outward appearance changed.
- The chameleon is able to alter its phenotype to blend into its surroundings.
Is YY homozygous or heterozygous?
YY is the homozygous dominant genotype (2 Y alleles). The phenotype of this genotype is yellow seed color. Yy is the heterozygous genotype (one dominant allele, one recessive allele).
What is the genotype for heterozygous?
An organism with one dominant allele and one recessive allele is said to have a heterozygous genotype. In our example, this genotype is written Bb.