What to say to someone who has Down syndrome?
THINGS TO SAY – These are the things parents have found comforting or made them feel good:
- “Congratulations.” They just had a baby! …
- “He/She looks just like you.” The baby probably does look like someone in the family. …
- Tell them what you have learned from the RMDSA website and share the resources you’ve identified.
What should you not say to someone with Down syndrome?
What to say (and what not to say)
|DO NOT SAY||DO SAY|
|A Downs baby/person/child||A person/baby/child with Down syndrome or who has Down syndrome|
|Mentally handicapped/backward||Learning disability or intellectual disability|
|Disease/illness/handicap||Condition OR genetic condition|
What are the emotional needs of a person with Down syndrome?
Depression, social withdrawal, diminished interests and coping skills. Generalized anxiety. Obsessive compulsive behaviors. Regression with decline in loss of cognitive and social skills.
How do you take care of a child with Down syndrome?
- Give your child chores around the house. …
- Have your child play with other kids who do and don’t have Down syndrome.
- Keep your expectations high as your child tries and learns new things.
- Make time to play, read, have fun, and go out together.
- Support your child in doing day-to-day tasks on their own.
How can parents help people with Down syndrome?
One of the best ways to meet other parents is to get involved in a local Down syndrome parent support group. These groups can provide you with an excellent forum for sharing your feelings and concerns as a new parent, and an opportunity to learn from the experiences of others who have been in your shoes.
Can adults with Down syndrome drive?
Down Syndrome Driving Classses
Many people with Down Syndrome lead independent lives, this includes being able to drive. If a person with Down syndrome can read and pass a driver’s education class and pass a road test, then they can get a driver’s license.
Who is a famous person with Down syndrome?
|Edward Barbanell||Actor who starred in The Ringer|
|Sam Barnard||Actor and reality star who appeared on The Suspicions of Mr Whicher and The Undateables|
|Jay Beatty||Celtic F.C. fan|
|Jamie Brewer||Actress who appeared in American Horror Story: Murder House and American Horror Story: Coven|
What is the mental age of a person with Down syndrome?
7 individuals with Down syndrome (mean mental age = 8.18 +/- 2.73 years; mean chronological age = 29.8 +/- 5.4 years) and a group of 9 typically developing children, matched for mental age, (mean mental age = 8.40 +/- 1.73 years; mean chronological age = 7.2 +/- 1.2 years) were given a version of Cooper and Shepherd’s …
What are the 3 types of Down syndrome?
There are three types of Down syndrome:
- Trisomy 21. This is by far the most common type, where every cell in the body has three copies of chromosome 21 instead of two.
- Translocation Down syndrome. In this type, each cell has part of an extra chromosome 21, or an entirely extra one. …
- Mosaic Down syndrome.
Can stress cause Down syndrome?
Down syndrome, which arises from a chromosome defect, is likely to have a direct link with the increase in stress levels seen in couples during the time of conception, say Surekha Ramachandran, founder of Down Syndrome Federation of India, who has been studying about the same ever since her daughter was diagnosed with …